The city of Bangalore is India’s third largest city and the state capital of Karnataka, known for being a modern, cosmopolitan metropolis at the helm of the country’s IT-boom. Bangalore is a shopper’s haven overrun with big malls and shopping districts, as well as a food lover’s paradise with one of the highest concentrations of places to eat in the continent. Spotted with parks and natural lakes, Bangalore is alternately known as ‘The Garden City of India.’ Recently voted as the most livable metro in the country, Bangalore is known as‘Pensioner’s Paradise’ on the one hand and as ‘Start-up City,’ on the other, attracting youth from across the world with its trending markets and rapid availability of jobs. With Bangalore’s ever-doubling IT infrastructure, it is often referred to as the Silicon Valley of India.
Another aspect of Bangalore is soaked in the history of bygone, ancient cultures. Bangalore has been peopled for up to 3000 years, bearing megalithic monuments that treasure its rich past. Bangalore, as we know it today, was established in 1537 by KempeGowda I, who constructed a well-planned city within an oval mud fort in the area that is today known as City Market. Gradually, Bangalore grew into a commercial center and a chief part of the silk industry. Over successive centuries the Marathas, Mughals, Wodeyars and the Mysore Sultanate, all did their bit to develop the city further. In 1809 the British set up a cantonment in Bangalore, drawn by its pleasant weather and central location.
The earliest recorded usage of the name Bengaluru is found in today’s ‘Old Bangalore,’ in a 9th century temple. According to legend, King ViraBallala was once lost in the jungles that once overran these parts. He was wandering, tired and hungry, when an old woman revived him with her hospitality and a plate of boiled beans. Out of gratitude the King consequently named the area ‘Benda KaaluUru’ (Town of Boiled Beans). It was only in 1831, when the British seized Mysore from the ruling Wodeyars that the capital was shifted to Bangalore. The anglicization of Bengaluru turned it into Bangalore until it was recently reverted back to its original.
Although Bangalore is not a popular tourist destination, there are many sites worth taking a tour of. The legislative House of Karnataka, VidhanaSoudha, is one of the Chief attractions of Bangalore. It was built during the 1950s using granite in a neo-Dravidian style of architecture. Other places of historical interest include the Bangalore Palace, constructed by the Mysore Maharajahs and Tipu Sultan’s Palace, built around 1790 as Tipu’s summer retreat.
A tour of Bangalore must also include Lalbagh Botanical Gardens- built by Hyder Ali in 1760, and the Bannerghatta National Park- a 25,000-acre zoological park one and a half hours away from Bangalore City. Educational tours of Bangalore may include the Vishweshwaraiah Industrial and Technological Museum, the State Archaeological Museum, the Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium, the Venkatappa Art Gallery and the Karnataka ChitrakalaParishad. Religious tours of Bangalore cover the Bull Temple in Basavanagudi, the Maha Bodhi Society Temple- a replica of the Bodh Gaya Stupa, the ISCKON temple, the Maruthi Temple, the GaviGangadeshwara Cave Temple as well as many other temples, mosques and churches of historic significance.
Due to an average elevation of 920 meters above the sea level, Bangalore enjoys a cool climate throughout the year. Although summers can get hot with dry heat waves, it seldom exceeds 35 degrees Celsius and hovers around a mean temperature of 24 degrees Celsius.
Sugama Tourists takes you to the Kundapura is a city in Udupi district in the Indian state of Karnataka. It is the headquarters of the Kundapura taluk and is about 36 km (22 mi) from Udupi. Kundapura is noted for its 95,000 solar lighting installations by Selco Solar, a Bangalore-based social enterprise.
The name Kundapura can be traced to the Kundeshvara temple built by Kundavarma in the vicinity of the Panchagangavalli river. Kundapura is also described as the 'town of the sun'. The name may be derived from Kunda, meaning jasmine, owing to the abundance of jasmine-trees in the area. According to others, Kunda means 'pillar' in Kannada, and here refers to the traditional method of constructing houses. Kunda has another meaning, indicating a high place. Until the 18th century, nearby Basrur was an important town and Kundapura was built later, particularly during the British period. Kundapura is surrounded by water from three sides. To the north lies the Panchagangavali river. To the east lies the Kalaghar river. To the west lie the Kodi back waters and the Arabian Sea), leaving the south side as the main connecting land mass.
1) Kundeswara temple can be seen within the town. Kundapura is surrounded on three sides by water / back water - and as such one can find good scenes of water and coconut trees all around. The boat point to Gangolli is one such beautiful place, with a vast area of the back waters of Haladi River, which joins the Arabian Sea nearby. From this point, the range of Western Ghats at a distance of 20 km (12 mi), including highest peak Kodachadri, is a beautiful sight. The three-sides- water- town concept of Kundapura is not exploited to develop the tourism industry in this area. There are a good number of lodges in this town which is well connected by highway to Karwar, Goa and Mumbai. It has the potential of becoming an exceptional tourist attraction. 2) Sri Vinayaka (Ganesh) Temple at Anegudde, between Kota, Udupi and Koteshwar towns. The temple is located 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) from Kundapura. Among the several temples in Kumbhashi Anegudde, Sri Vinayaka Temple is the oldest, and it is also the most popular in this region. This Ganesh temple is on a small hillock, giving the name Anegudde, "Ane" meaning elephant and "Gudde" meaning a hillock. 3) Mekekattu Nadhikeshwara temple is an historical place. Located about 20 kilometres (12 mi) from Kundapura, it falls within the limits of Udupi Taluk, but is culturally connected to Kundapura. It is nearer to Barkuru in the Shiriyara village. Legend says it is a creation of sage Parashurama as applicable to all places of Coastal Karnataka. With the passage of time the area where the temple is situated has been called by different names. It attracts several visitors every year, particularly during annual festival, hasara, and sedi. Striking feature of Mekkekattu temple include a large collection of coloured, wooden idols, some of which measure up to 10 feet in height. Most of the wooden statues are in warrior dress, giving an impression that this entire row of wooden statues are made to remember an incidence of war that would have taken place here during 1600-1700 AD (no historic evidence for this war is found yet, but can be linked to Mogul / Bahamani Invasion). Some of the statues are like Muslim soldires, some like maratha soldiers. Some even hold a replica of an old gun or swords, posed as if ready for war. All wooden statues are given local mythological names. Yettinahatti, very near to Mekke kattu, is an interesting place where bulls are worshiped, and may have some historical links with Mekke Kattu. There is one more small place called Karuvina Hatti about 35 kilometres (22 mi) from Udupi via Brahmavara – Barkur,Shiriyara 4) Guddattu Vinayaka temple This particular temple, situated in the border area of Kundapur and Udupi taluks, has to been seen to be believed. Guddattu is a place of natural beauty. The History of Guddattu Sri Vinayaka Temple runs back for about 1700 years. The natural rock formation similar to Ganesh Idol is inside a small cave and the natural formation of cave is such that, around thousand Koda of water collects naturally and submerges the Ganesh Idol. It is said that the three foot idol of Lord Vinayaka was emerged by itself, attaching to a big rock. The black and grey stone structure of Lord Ganapathi is in a sitting position. His trunk is towards the right, eyes and legs clearly visible. The pooja of Ayarkoda is performed by devotees with much faith and devotion. The new rock Temple is constructed here, adjacent to a huge granite rock, which looks like a sleeping elephant. This temple is about 35 kilometres (22 mi) from Udupi via Brahmavara – Barkur, Shiriyara, about 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) from Kundapur via Koteshwara – Hunsemakhi -Guddeangady. 5)In Kundapur, Padukone is a coastal village located approximately 17 kilometres (11 mi) north of the taluk center. Part of the village is surrounded by the Souparnika River and one has to cross this river in an old wooden boat from Maraswami. Padukone is a beautiful village surrounded by coconut trees, water, and kudru. 6) Basrur - Many temples are located here on the southern banks of the Varahi River. Historically, Basrur is the main and center place of Kundapura Taluk. This area has many historical structures. Traders from foreign countries used to bring their boats and ships to Basrur, which is a natural harbour, and trade their goods for pepper and good quality rice. During 19th and 20th centuries, this place was famous for a singing and dancing lady community and such ladies devoted their lives to singing, entertainment and mainly attending the fancy and needs of rich gentlemen of the area. 7) Uppinakudru - Uppinakudru, or salt island, is located 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) north of Kundapura which is a taluk headquarters in Udupi District. 8) Hoovinakere - It is the birthplace of the philosopher Vadiraja, who preached Dvaita philosophy after Madhvacharya. 9) In Kundapur, Koteshwara - The Koteshwara temple is an historical and religious centre. Here the lake adjacent to the temple is larger than the main temple. One of the many legends about this lake is that there is an underground tunnel to Vandaru Kambala Gadde which is at a distance of 20 kilometres (12 mi). The Pattabhiramachandra temple, Mariyamma Temple, and the Kodandarama Temple are located in the same place.10) In Kundapur, Hattiangadi has another well-known temple of Lord Ganapathi, and many other ancient temples besides. 11)In Kundapur, Kirimanjeshwara - Located about 22 kilometres (14 mi) from Kundapur, it has the Kirimanjeshwara temple amidst beautiful surroundings. There is another old temple called the Agastyeshwara temple, named after Sage Agastya. 12) In Kundapur, Shankaranarayana - Located about 32 kilometres (20 mi) to the east of Kundapur, it is traditionally called Krodha Kshetra and is one of the seven places of pilgrimage in the region mentioned in the Skanda Purana. 13) Trasi - Located about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) to the North of Kundapur, Trasi has a beautiful 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) long beach with Turtle Bay and Beach Resort.14) In Kundapur, Maravanthe One of Karnataka's most beautiful beaches. It is about 55 kilometres (34 mi) from Udupi. NH-17 runs right next to the beach and the Suparnika River flows on the other side of the road, creating a spectacular scenery and considered only one of its kind in India. The river Souparnika, which almost touches Arabian Sea here, makes a U turn and goes eastward to join the Sea only after a journey of more than 10 kilometres (6.2 mi), which is a geological wonder. 15) Ottinene - This is a sunset point on the seashore, near Byndoor village on the national highway. The Kshitija Nature Resort, a beach and sunset point, are favorite spots with travelers here. Byndoor is a village near the sea.